WhatsApp makes important announcement to discontinue it’s service on some devices
WhatsApp has made an important announcement to discontinue it’s services on some devices. These devices might become incompatible with the messaging app. WhatsApp, is one of the largest messaging apps globally with 1.2 billion users and has recently rolled out a new Predicted Upload feature for Android and iOS. The most popular messaging application updated its mobile devices support page last week. According to the latest update, the company has released a list of devices that would no longer support the application and the ones that will lose support by the end of 2018.
The Facebook-owned company has notified in a support note on the company’s website, “These platforms don’t offer the kind of capabilities we need to expand our app’s features in the future. If you use one of these affected mobile devices, we recommend upgrading to a newer iOS version, or to a newer Android running OS…” “If you use one of these affected mobile devices, we recommend upgrading to a newer OS version, or to a newer Android running OS 4.0+, iPhone running iOS 7+, or Windows Phone 8.1+ so that you can continue using WhatsApp,” it says.
The details of which types of devices and their operating systems have been revealed in an update for WhatsApp’s mobile devices support page. The reason cited by the messaging app for this withdrawal of the facility to run the app on these devices is that they will not be able to handle all the features that WhatsApp plans to keep introducing on its app.
In listing out the details of the devices, it has also been clarified that while some of these devices may see WhatsApp not working on them with immediate effect some are set to lose the support by the end of this calendar year. There are a couple of devices that may receive the support for a maximum of 2 years. The minimum requirement will be for the devices to be running on Android version 4.0 or later and iOS 7 and later versions for iPhones.
The details of the devices are as below:
1.Nokia Phones – WhatsApp will stop support for all devices running on Nokia S40 platform by 31st Dec-18.
• Nokia Asha series – some of the popular smartphones run on this platform.
• This will not allow the users on this platform to create new accounts or re-verify existing accounts.
• Nokia Symbian S60 is another platform that no longer supports the application.
• WhatsApp has stopped updates for all smartphones running on Android 2.1 (Eclair) and Android 2.2 (Froyo).
• Users of Android versions 2.3.7 (Android Gingerbread) will continue to get WhatsApp updates for only two more years.
• Among iPhones, WhatsApp has stopped support for iPhone 3GS and devices running on iOS 6.
• Users with smartphones running BlackBerry OS, BlackBerry 10 and older platforms too will not get WhatsApp going forward.
• Devices running BlackBerry 10 got grace period of two weeks in January this year.
• Users with smartphones running Windows Phone 8.0 too will not get WhatsApp updates this year.
• The messaging app also does not support Windows Phone 7.
If you are using any of the above devices using WhatsApp then in that case, you have no choice but to either go for a new one or upgrade to a more latest version of the OS that your device can support.
You might also like
More from Apps
blackNgreen’s voice changing app goes viral, hits over 3 million downloads and 20 million calls in 6 months
blackNgreen, the fastest-emerging multinational firm offering value-added products and services to Telecom Operators in over 90 countries, launched a new …
NDTV and Bharti Airtel (“Airtel”) today announced the launch of NDTV Hop, world’s first LIVE channel for smartphones available entirely in …
Airtel strengthens Artificial Intelligence portfolio, announces acquihire deal with AuthMe – an AI focused startup
Bharti Airtel (“Airtel”), India’s leading telecom services provider, today announced an acquihire deal with AuthMe ID Services (“AuthMe”), a Bengaluru …
Samsung Health continues to drive health and wellness innovation with enhanced personalization, accessibility and wearable integration
Samsung Health continues to drive health and wellness innovation with enhanced personalization, accessibility and wearable integration Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd today announced …